Craftsbury Independence Weekend
The Craftsbury Outdoor Center, invites you to declare your own Independence with a special weekend package of energy independence programming, lodging, and meals:
• You will explore food independence with area farm tours, presentations on composting and agriculture plus hands-on learning opportunities in cheese making, bread and pizza baking in our wood fired oven.
• Your learning will be fueled all weekend by meals featuring many locally sourced ingredients.
• You will investigate energy independence by visiting a variety of renewable energy projects in Craftsbury including solar, wind, and biomass.
• You will learn how several homeowners have reduced their reliance on fossil fuels using green building techniques and energy alternatives.
• You will receive instruction in rustic construction, composting, and learn how we built our stone/brick/clay wood-fired oven.
A detailed schedule of activities and learning experiences will be available on line at www.craftsbury.com. All Energy Independence Weekend activities will be free for houseguests. Annual membership in the Craftsbury Outdoor Center, costing $50 for a year or $10 for a day membership, will also entitle riders to free participation. For those thinking of coming for just the day, meals are available to purchase by reservation. Lodging and meals packages start at $95/person/day double occupancy. Cannondale and Hybrid bikes are available for rent from the bike shop.
A mapped system of single track mountain bike trails, disc golf, orienteering, and nature trails are available for houseguests and members. A waterfront with canoes and kayaks and swimming is available for house guests to enjoy.
The Craftsbury Outdoor Center is offering a concurrent “Dirt Road Biking” themed weekend July 6-8. An exciting weekend for exploring the back-roads of Vermont’s Northeast Kingdom by mountain bike has been scheduled. All the rides will be scenic with peaceful hamlets, hill farms, lakes, and forests providing a backdrop. It has been said that, “The best of Vermont is not touched by pavement”. Craftsbury is imbedded in a 200 mile maze of lightly traveled dirt roads. Rides will be guided by knowledgeable leaders and range from 5 miles up to 28 miles. The longer rides will have a van follow in case of mechanical problems or need for a catch up ride. The plan is to offer the option of a long ride on Saturday of approximately 6 hours duration with a stop for lunch or 2 short rides of an hour each. Sunday will feature a couple of 2 hour rides, one before and one after lunch. All will have hilly sections of packed dirt and gravel. Some may have short sections of rough surface.
Participants in the “Energy Independent Weekend” are welcome to substitute any of these “Dirt Road Biking Weekend” activities or tours in place of energy independent activities. A detailed schedule of the mountain bike rides and activities will be available on line at www.craftsbury.com